Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On

Thank God none of you guessed the correct date and time the USS Blue Ridge left Yokosuka - yesterday at 2:45 pm - because I suspect we've all noticed the polling gadget I used has a major drawback. How was I supposed to determine a winner when the votes were anonymous?

As many of you know, I have now experienced my first earthquake. Yesterday morning I slept through one, just like I apparently snoozed through half a dozen plate rattlers between 2006 and 2008, but I definitely felt the earth move Sunday evening. We were at a sushi-go-round restaurant with the outgoing 7th Fleet Surgeon (Kathleen Sr's husband for those of you keen on details). The waitress was calculating our bill and I was aiming eye chastisements at the member of our party who had not bothered to stack his dozen or so plates in color order when suddenly the counter started shaking. Weird. A split second later vibrations shot from the soles of my feet to my brain and the concept of earthquake crossed my mind.

The tremors lasted for about 15 seconds but it was a long 15 seconds, the slow-motion, life-flashing-before-your-eyes, totally helpless kind of 15 seconds Michigan drivers experience when the car skids on a patch of ice and floats sideways toward a large stationary object, usually a tree, telephone pole, or Winnebago.

Speaking of driving, so far today I have backed the car into the carport in one (semi)fluid motion three consecutive times. Before too long I'll be able to take this show on the road. Oh, wait, no I won't. Because none of the dozen or so Navy spouses who make a pretty good living running back and forth to the License and Title Office in Yokohama are answering their phones this week and my temporary permit expires tomorrow.

P.S. If you come to see us, make sure I take you to a Mr. Donut so you can try a pon.

5 comments:

  1. Darlene introduced me to the pon a few weeks before she left! It is delicious and their coffee isn't too bad either. We'll have to together sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how you were going to determine the winner when I didn't have a spot to include my name!! I should have asked the question yesterday, maybe I could have won by default!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to get everyone to go there when WE were there and no one would. I had my picture taken in front of it to prove it! To heck with the pon, I just wanted a donut. Unless pon means donut.
    Love,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pon are the particular donuts pictured. Each round little glob makes a tasty morsel. They are yeasty and not as sweet as American donuts. Due to your interest, I will make a point of returning to Mr. Donut in order to photograph and sample all the varieties offered, even the green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess this makes you a pondit.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails