Saturday, August 22, 2009

This Week at the 100 Yen Store

Matt's busy with football, Mike's bobbing around in the water somewhere off the coast of Mumble Grumble Mumble, and there are actually limits to the number of lunch outings I can rationalize. I stupidly forgot to put my sewing machine in the Unaccompanied Baggage. I don't remember how to cast yarn on a knitting needle. There are 30 books loaded on my Kindle but I'm trying to pace my reading just in case a maritime mishap sends all my other books to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Since an idle mind is reportedly the devil's playground and mine can barely contain my thoughts let alone a slimy red creature, I've invented a new hobby. My dad would appreciate this one. I call it making ice.

It started when I had four minutes to kill waiting for the coffee in the French press to steep. I grabbed a ziploc bag, emptied four ice cube trays into it, then refilled the trays with water. With 10 more seconds to endure, I wandered over to the front refrigerator, opened the freezer door, and - Eureka! - found an automatic ice maker (Note to Chip: That scratchy noise in the middle of the night is not a rodent in the walls after all. Whew.) The automatic cubes went into the bag with their homespun cousins and the bag was stowed on a shelf in the empty freezer. Filling bags with ice soon became part of my daily routine, like brushing my teeth and taking a St. Joseph's aspirin.

While wandering around Daiso, a 100 Yen store, with Margaret the other day, I spotted these nifty Ice Block Bags. They come in 2 liter and 3 liter sizes. I bought both.



Between bagging cubes and filling bags with water, I am now too busy to go out to lunch most days. I'm thinking of expanding into crushed ice as soon as the blender catches up with us. With three varieties of ice on offer, I'm sure to be swamped with invitations from just about every hostess in Japan.

I feel a contest coming on . . .

9 comments:

  1. I may be slow, but I'm missing the purpose of the ice bags, unless they are to assuage Chip's post-practice/game aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, but those big bricks of ice will do the trick in your cooler/ice chest when you go fishing or on a picnic, taking hours longer to melt than the bags you are buying at the party store. And you can use them again and again. Even the same water, unless you get thirsty in the middle of the lake on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It says right on the front of the package, "It maintains the freshness, and bait of the fishing and the fish." Mostly I thought of fishing because your name reminds me of one of those red plastic top-looking things Grandma attached to her line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. I think I misunderstood Bobbler's original question. Bobbler, have you never thrown a party?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I am GREEN with envy. Not over the whole ice thing, but I love those 100 yen stores. I've found some real treasures in them!!! The best ever, some really nice wire working tools with little springs that make them pop open automatically. Those suckers are about $15 here and I got them for 100 yen. How great is that??!!

    Keep us posted on any more great finds!!
    gk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fishing seems to be a way of life in Mumble Grumble Mumble, but it's just not my cup of tea. Now if you had said it keeps the kim chee fresh....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should try ice sticks, they fit in your water bottles and keep it nice and cold for all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails