Friday, August 7, 2009

The Exciting Version

We have wheels, a $400 1992 Toyota something-or-other. The "Exciting Version" no less, which I'm hoping doesn't have anything to do with the fact that there's only one key. "Um, honey, did you happen to take the car key with you on deployment?"



We bought the car from Jimmy Bradley. Since his promotion to Captain (an 06 in Navy rating parlance) occurred on August 1, I insisted on giving him a guided tour of all the 06 parking spots on base before taking possession of the paint-challenged jalopy. Then I let him take me to Starbucks because, much to my amazement, Jimmy has not set foot in Starbucks since arriving in Japan four years ago.

Perhaps I heard him wrong. It would not be the first time. He has a voice that reminds me of Isaac Hayes on the "Live at the Sahara Tahoe" album so sometimes my mind starts drifting back to my college days when he's talking.



He will fly to Virginia in the next 36 hours to re-connect with Melissa and the boys. We wish them "Fair Winds and Following Seas." That's Navy for "Good Luck, Best Wishes, and Have a Happy Life."

Now I'm going to mosey on over to the Autoport for a couple of those "new driver" decals. Mike says I should splurge on a butterfly decal while I'm there. Apparently the butterfly decal will inform other drivers that I can't hear a darn thing so don't bother honking at me. Nice concept.

2 comments:

  1. So, are you emulating "Overly Verbal" and posting only once a month now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was only honked at once during 3 years in Japan despite no butterfly decal, so you could take your chances. On the other hand, Brian has been honked at at least 3 times out of about 5 bike rides along Hampton Blvd on his way to work. He's about ready to break down and buy a second car!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails