Monday, August 17, 2009

An Athletic Interlude

This statue (left) marks the site of the first bowling alley in Japan which opened in 1864 at the foot of French Hill in Yokohama. I took this picture for my brother-in-law, a serious bowler in his youth (no kidding, the wedding reception took place in a bowling alley). I also took this picture because French Hill is really, really steep and loitering at this statue allowed me to postpone my ascent.

While verifying that this statue does, indeed, mark the site of the first bowling alley in Japan, I learned a couple of other interesting things. Bowling is pronounced "boring" in Japan but they've invented some derivative forms of the sport that are anything but boring. Head bowling, for instance. Or how about breast bowling? I will spare you the video links in case the kids are reading.

Speaking of kids, the football coaches decided to start practice at 5:30 am after the military police halted practice on account of black flag weather two days in a row last week. Friday was rough but Matt was in the groove by 4:30 am Saturday and borderline chipper at 4:30 am today. I don't think he's been up this early (unless he stayed up all night) since his infancy and the same can certainly be said about me.

I'm thinking, what with global warming and all, it might be time to think about pushing the football season back by 4-6 weeks. But I'll wait until Matt graduates before I start/join this crusade. There's no sense embarrassing him on purpose when I do it so well without trying, and sometimes without even opening my mouth.

2 comments:

  1. So you being a serious cheer leader would be the explanation for your reception being in a gym?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second reception was in a golf course clubhouse.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails