Friday, August 21, 2009

An Encore for Piano Man

Matt snagged his old number, 88, when the jerseys were handed out yesterday. Practice this morning was a walkthrough - whatever the heck that is - and the season will kick off about 90 minutes from now when the Red Devils host Yokosuka Gakuin, a local school. It seems like they ought to practice another week or two before playing a game but you won't hear me complaining, especially if this means we can sleep in past 4:30 am tomorrow.

Mike, of course, is simply disconsolate about missing the season opener. "Step away from the railing, Sir!"

Fortunately he left the good camera in the closet when he deployed so I'll be looping about 75 pounds of Nikon stuff around my neck and masquerading as a Stars and Stripes photographer in hopes of landing a spot on the sidelines. Otherwise I might have to meet some of the other parents and sign up for a shift in the concession stand.

Matt informs me he does not wish to be called PDE. I think he prefers Chip after researching Clair Bee and Chip Hilton on Wikipedia. We both giggled when we read this line in the general plot synopsis: A slow start to the season is generally followed by Chip interceding with the coach on behalf of his mates, a coaching epiphany, and the coach deciding it is best to see things Chip's way while deriding himself as a fool for trying to change the team's style. "Now there's a technique you should try with Coach Wilson!" Not.

P.S. I finished Of Mice and Men last night. I suspect this comes as a relief to all of us.

2 comments:

  1. If you're looking for a good nickname, the Chip Hilton books would be the place to look. Uncle Biggie(Deuce)has plenty for him to peruse through in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing the matter with having a nickname as my friends Dutch, Poker, Clam, Bird, Skin, Dog, & others can attest. And yes sadly we are all 55 years old. I would be happy to discuss Chip Hilton in depth with Matt when he is in town or I am able to visit. Sorry about the loss - judging by the score it must have fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails