Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dawn's Early Light

I'm no longer setting the alarm for 4:30 am. School starts the day after tomorrow and Matt's practices have been switched to after noon, a time more in synch with my circadian rhythm, but already I'm a bit nostalgic for those quiet morning hours when I sat on my back patio listening to the base slowly wake up around me.

Every summer the Navy announces the First Class Petty Officers who have been selected for promotion to the rank of Chief Petty Officer, commonly referred to as 'Chiefs.' For the entire month of August and the first half of September the Chiefs-select undergo a rigorous training regimen and a nearly-as-rigorous fundraising frenzy. Here in Yokosuka the Navy's best and brightest run along the side of my house at 5:30 every morning as they approach Weather Hill. Fifteen minutes later they pass again on the descent (walking this time so I guess they're following "The Galloway Method.") I can hear them approaching when they're still two blocks away. There are about 25 of them, chanting in unison to that tune we all learned watching boot camp scenes in old movies. Weather Hill is the toughest obstacle they face and they seem to appreciate the spectator standing on the side of the road in her pajamas, humming "They'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain."

1 comment:

  1. Next week you can resume your 0430 routine when I get up to go for my morning run at 0500.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails