Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Arresting Sights in Kanazawa


We spotted this whimsical sculpture (above) on a street corner between Kanazawa castle and the samurai district. If I ever get caught up on all my random projects, I'll crack open the Adobe Photoshop manual and figure out how to transform this picture into a blog header. Don't hold your breath.

It speaks to me of adventure, walking (of course), bunions, and intestinal fortitude.  

Kotojitoro on railing near Kanazawa Castle

Kenrokuen Garden's famous kotojitoro lantern is reproduced on sweets, manhole covers, and bridge railings.


Wandering around the grounds of Oyama-jinja, a Shinto shrine adjacent to Kanazawa castle, we spotted this "Neverending Story" statue. What do you suppose the story behind this statue might be?

Fearless gets credit for convincing us to visit Oyama-jinja after spotting the shrine's distinctive main gate from a bus window. The gate is an interesting mix of Japanese, Chinese, and European religious architectural elements, notably Dutch stained-glass windows on the third floor.


Maybe I'll post some more photographs from Oyama-jinja in particular and Kanazawa in general later this month. This morning I am embarking on an overnight trip to Nikko with three Shonan friends and a fully-charged camera. Bon voyage to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails