Tuesday, November 8, 2011

In Celebration of Children: Shichi Go San

A three-year old near Toshogu in Nikko
The Shichi Go San or 7-5-3 Festival is one of my favorite Japanese traditions. Boys who are 3 and 5 years old, and girls who are 3 and 7 are taken to a shinto shrine, often in their first kimono, and the parents pray for their continuing good health and prosperity.   The parents of this little girl kindly allowed me to take her picture when I spotted them exiting the shrine.

In feudal times, Japan's high childhood mortality rate was blamed on evil spirits.  When children reached the ages of 3, 5, and 7 (three and seven are especially lucky numbers here), the parents would thank the gods for protecting their offspring. 

See the bag the little girl is clutching in her right hand?  A sweet candy called chitose-ame is often given to the children in a bag decorated with cranes and turtles, symbols of longevity.

Remind me to pick up some crane and turtle washi paper before I leave Japan.  I'm sure my future grandchildren won't complain about getting bags of candy after I dress them in kimono and make them stand in front of the church on their birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails