Friday, November 11, 2011

Yokohama Quilt Show: If These Don't Inspire Me, Nothing Will

If quilts aren't your thing, tune out right now and don't come back for a couple of days. As usual, I snapped pictures of every amateur quilt at the Yokohama Quilt Festival. I would have captured the professional quilts as well but those security guards were shadowing me all day.

The "Comfort Quilts from Around Japan" exhibit consumed a lot of my time and a corresponding amount of space on that little plastic card in my camera. Since I'm going to become a grandmother in the Year of the Dragon, the baby quilts seemed even more fascinating than usual. Surely a baby is all the motivation I need to finally try to create a quilt myself. Cribs aren't all that big so this seems like a perfect project for a beginner.

By the time I'm 90, maybe I'll be able to hand-quilt hearts like these.

The 3D triangle border sure is cute

Simple squares and lots of different fabric--I think I can do this
Maybe my tenth grandchild will get an umbrella quilt

The "Memory Quilts" exhibit was also fun. If I run out of grandchildren, I suppose I could whip up a little quilt for my (only) favorite dog, Mel.

Three ladies were mesmerized with this quilt depicting plates and dolls displayed in a hutch. They stood right in front of it for over twenty minutes, at which point I settled for a sidelong picture. A quilt like this would be a perfect way to use all the random pieces of fabric in my stash although, let's face it, for now I need to be content with joining squares, rectangles, and an occasional triangle.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails