Monday, November 7, 2011

"Believing in the Power of Flowers"

Artistic wanted to see the Sogetsu Exhibition -- the 93rd annual exhibition, no less -- at the Takashimaya department store in Nihombashi last Friday. I tagged along because (a) I never turn down a chance to scoot up to Tokyo and (b) I couldn't help but wonder how the Sogetsu school of Ikebana flower arranging had evolved since the 90th annual exhibition which my sister and I somewhat accidentally visited on her first trip to Japan.

Artistic is a student of Sogetsu, she takes classes here on base and is determined to achieve a new level before her family departs Japan. From what I can surmise, Japanese flower arranging is something like martial arts but she's aiming for a new level rather than a colorful belt.

While she remembered to charge her camera, my Nikon battery went into a coma about 30 meters into the first of about ten exhibition rooms. Still, I think these pictures will give you the gist of what we saw.

A slightly obscene bamboo arrangement

Vertical Moss with Jutting Branch (The "Gonzo" Arrangement)

All kidding aside, it was an inspiring exhibition. So inspiring, in fact, that I invested in a "Beginner's Guide to Ikebana" before leaving the store. And the next day, while strolling across the base just after the grounds crew trimmed the hedges, I picked up a cute little branch sporting three red berries and stuck it in a vase that's now perched cheerfully on my kitchen window sill.

Not that the Ancient Mariner has noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails