Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Oedo Antique Market: An Upscale Shrine Sale

Not far from the Imperial Palace, just across the street from Yurakucho station, you'll find an outdoor Oedo Antique Market on the first and third Sundays of most every month. In case you're the sort of person who doesn't relish making a trip in vain, I've included a link (here) so you can verify upcoming fair dates.

The event is cancelled when there is an 80 percent or greater chance of rain so you might want to check the weather forecast.  Why rain is an issue is anyone's guess since the market is held in the covered plaza at Tokyo International Forum.  The plaza is remarkably shady which will be quite appealing when July and August roll around.

I can't believe I've lived here nearly four years and have just now discovered this market.  We are all indebted to Otsuka-san for sharing this experience with us.

The doll-size geisha wigs were hard to resist.

Kaji-san brought her charming daughter, Natsuke (I hope I spelled that correctly). I rarely have the opportunity to see my Japanese friends in their mother roles and I haven't spent time with any 21-year old girls since half the Knit Wits left for the States last month, so meeting Natsuke was a special treat. She spent some time on the train studying for her driver's examination while we gawked at her artistic cat doodles. The textbook looked like it had about ten times as many pages as any driver's manual I've seen back home.
These "cat mobiles" caught my eye. Shinagawa-san showed us that they are simply fabric-covered plastic clips, the sort of clips used here to attach bed linens to balconies for airing. I wonder how many of these I might be able to whip up between now and next Christmas?  Or I could just buy a bunch the next time I visit the market.  There will definitely be a next time since I've just now noticed those sandals on the wall.

Weather has never seen a bowl she hasn't wanted to buy.

I managed (barely) to resist Peko-chan in a tuxedo

Shinagawa, Kaji, Peevish, Weather, and Otsuka
There are lots of nice restaurants in the basement of the Tokyo International Forum so don't be afraid to do some exploring.  Just walk around the building until you spot an escalator.  The Italian restaurant has really good pasta, pizza, and desserts.  The waitress handed Natsuke the biggest bowl of ice cream I've seen (outside my own kitchen) so that's what I intend to order next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails