Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Inside the Recycled Kimono Sale

I had no intention of buying even one tiny scrap of fabric at last week's version of the semi-annual recycled kimono sale in the Yokohama Community Center. This was my fourth recycled kimono sale and I already have more obis and kimono, not to mention random fabric, than I will ever put to good use. To entertain myself while my friends elbowed their way to the obi bins and snatched display kimono off the walls, I pulled out my camera so you, too, could experience the delightful frenzy of sale day.

Betty made a beeline for the 100-Yen bin

Weather prepares to snatch an obi from an unsuspecting elderly Japanese lady

The intact kimono are grouped by type
Then my eyes started to wander around the room.  The two racks of children's kimono and yukata were screaming my name.  Every little girl needs a kimono in her make-believe chest, right?  How many great-nieces under the age of ten do I have?  How tall are they? 

Let's just say I made a good start on my Christmas shopping.  And I can finish this project in plenty of time to meet the international mail deadline since the next recycled kimono sale is October 18.  Mark your calendars, Yokosuka peeps.

We introduced four Japanese ladies to the wonders of the sale this time around which made it especially fun.  As you can see, no one went home empty-handed.  Now what in the world am I going to do with this hunk of muslin I picked up for 50 yen?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails