Sunday, April 3, 2011

Not Your Typical Japanese-Size Lunch


There's a shop a couple of blocks from Yokosuka-chua station that sells local products, including about two dozen different varieties of Japanese Navy curry. The stairs on the left lead to a second-floor cafe that offers curries and, my personal favorite, the Admiral Jamie Kelly Cheesecake.

Ishii-san and I sampled the Meiji-era curry when we visited the cafe the week before last. She chose chicken and I had beef. The curry was served with milk and Ishii-san asked the waitress to warm her milk. I thought that was interesting. I like my milk cold. Very, very cold.

A trio of young Japanese workers took a window table near us. They were all wearing identical pale blue jumpsuits which is how I knew they were workers. The tall skinny one ordered an enormous plate of curry with fried chicken cutlets.  I counted three chicken breasts on that plate. 

He ate the whole thing.  And he probably had cheesecake for dessert.  I didn't have dessert because Ishii-san thought that would be too much.  Sheesh.

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me! Dessert when you are
    out with the ladies is never to much :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails