Sunday, February 7, 2010

This is Absolutely, Positively the Last Theme Party I'm Throwing This Year!

Way back in September I promised the Seventh Fleet Officer Spouse Association (C7FOSA) they could meet at my house in February. They said I could pick the theme. Eek! I have no idea why military wives are so fond of theme parties and, frankly, I feel uncomfortable about expending more time and energy entertaining my fellow spouses than I put into celebrating family milestones.

The party is this Friday, the 12th. They were expecting a Valentine's theme but I'm forcing them to celebrate American Presidents instead because (a) February 12 is Abraham Lincoln's birthday, (b) history tickles me, (c) the big box of patriotic party supplies fell on my head when I was digging in the cupboard for the Valentine's stuff, and (d) I am desperate to unload the 20+ presidential bookmarks I intended to send to grandnieces and -nephews for Christmas until I realized that I don't want to be remembered as the "Aunt Who Gives Boring Educational Gifts."

So. I have four days to throw this party together, dear friends and family, and could use a little help. My guests are expecting to lunch on Herbert Hoover's 'A Chicken in Every Pot' Pie -- a rare stroke of genius on my part since it means I can utilize my trusty pot pie recipe AND eliminates the cherry pie expectation (which is a good thing because I still haven't mastered the subterfuge of shifting a frozen pie from its aluminum plate to one that screams 'homemade').

They are also expecting a Martha Washington Cherry Trifle -- what in the world was I thinking? -- so if anyone (that means you, Erin) can direct me to a trifle recipe that uses cherries or cherry pie filling or any sort of red fruit that might pass for cherries, I would be deeper in your debt that I am already.

I also need a presidential sort of name for a salad (either tossed or fruit, your choice) but try to avoid Carter and Reagan if you can because I'm using them for snacks (peanuts and jelly beans, of course).

Also, presidential trivia questions would be greatly appreciated. I promise to make it worth your while. All the outstanding prizes for previous contests are now sitting in the trunk of my car, the crucial first step toward the post office, just to prove my utter seriousness.

As for my quilt square, since someone was polite enough to inquire about it, the kits I bought at the Tokyo Dome last month all sport Japanese themes (there's that pesky word again) and require me to master teeny-tiny handstitching to applique little fabric pictures.
Hisayo insisted I start with the Setsubun square since it's a February holiday. I will be amazed if I finish it by next February but stranger things have happened.


Finally, thanks to Betty, I now own everything I need to knit my first pair of socks. The needles are as thin as spaghetti and pointed on both ends. We can use them to skewer shishkebobs if this sock thing doesn't pan out. As for the yarn, I could have walked two blocks down Blue Street and bought six pairs of socks for the price of that skein so be sure to feign appropriate gratitude if you unwrap a pair of somethings that vaguely resemble socks come December.

At least it won't be a presidential bookmark.

10 comments:

  1. Let the word go forth from this time and place that the torch has been passed to a new generation of party theme planners. Yes you can! You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Matt expecting a "Bohemian Rhapsody" graduation party?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See email for Presidential Information!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about "Lincoln's Salad With 4-Scored Olives" (just use pitted olives, green or black, with that cut at the top with 4 slits, thrown in a green salad)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or how about "Woodrow Wilson's Watchful Waiting Watercress Salad"? I found a recipe on allrecipes with fennel and watercress, although...don't know if they have fennel or watercress at the commissary...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Either alone or in a salad, I will definitely be using those "four-scored olives"! Very clever, Ms. Dietitian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One step further past 'why theme', I want to know 'why food'. Why can't we just get together, pass out diet cokes and just talk?? No wonder so many of us are overweight!!

    Check this out:

    http://www.infoplease.com/spot/prestrivia1.html

    gk

    ReplyDelete
  9. You would like our Thursday morning knitting circle, Geraldine. All I do is brew a pot of coffee and unlock the front door. People come and go as they please and help themselves to a cup of coffee if they want. Knitting is not a requirement -- some people crochet, Jen did some sort of needlepoint thing last week, and some just sit and visit.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails