Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Life is a (George Washington) Bowl of Cherries

Life is good. The temperature rose perceptibly late this morning (sorry, Kate), the sour cream and 2% milk shortage appears to be over, and seven different kinds of beans are begging to be marinated. The angel food cake for the trifle is ready to be cubed and I calculate I'll have plenty of spare time to whip up some cookies and fudge for the Oakleaf bake sale.

Old and new friends are a blessing. Jane and I showed Judy the sherd/shard beach in Hayama and Judy told us about some interesting classes at a nearby Japanese community center. Reiko wants to ferret out wild camellias in Kamakura, Dr. T says his wife recommends I invest in Seki knives, the USS Blue Ridge carrying my personal Mr. Coffee ought to be back in Yokosuka in just a few days, Robin is going to Lunch Bunch with me tomorrow so I know it will be a perfect day, Hisayo is going to take me to Swany's fabric store and I'm going to return the favor by taking her to the waffle restaurant, Sue and I have tickets for a cherry blossom and winery tour, Sherri wants to go on a plum blossom and sake tour, Jen O has set a date to hit the pottery shops in Mashiko, the little boy who introduced Anpanman to me is moving back to Japan this summer, and my cup just keeps running over.

I want to wallow in these happy feelings. That's why I'm not in any rush to open Matt's report card.

5 comments:

  1. There is a mountain temple near Mashiko, where there used to be a castle. At the top of the mountain is a nice memorial plum tree grove (each tree has a plaque on it with a memorial name.) It is very beautiful. I put up a photo of plum blossoms for you. I am homesick for Mashiko! http://togei.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you left any time to sit and put your feet up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll open Matt's report card if I can get a slice of the cherry pie to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what you find out about Japanese knives! It was something I'd really hoped to learn about while there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope Matt inherited my Reading Comprehension skills. Who said anything about cherry pie?

    I will definitely share what I learn on my continuing search for the perfect knives. Dr. T is an academic oncologist and attends and/or lectures at about 30 CME conferences a year all over the world. His wife brought a highly-touted knife home from Germany several years ago and was felt it simply did not measure up to her favorite Japanese knives.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails