Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love from Japan on Valentine's Day

The USS Blue Ridge returned to Yokosuka on Lincoln's Birthday. This made the Ancient Mariner very happy as he was anxious to beat Youngest Son to the President's Party leftovers.

"Mmmmm," he swooned (fortunately with his mouth closed), "have you tasted these beans?"

"Just a spoonful," she replied, "but that was enough to send me back to the Commissary for the ingredients to whip up a second batch. And, um, I invited the first four families I saw to join us for dinner on Sunday. I know it is Valentine's Day but I am just calling it Sunday Dinner since I've sworn off theme parties."



"Mmmmm," he swooned again. "Are you going to make another one of these cherry trifles?"

"Yes, but just because it's so easy and tastes so good and NOT because cherries are red which just happens to be a color associated with Valentine's Day. Why don't you post some of your Ice Festival pictures while I slave away in the kitchen?"

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! Did you make it up or follow a recipe?! As for the sesame salad dressing, technically I think I can buy it here (for $7 a bottle). But Rebecca's working on finding out if the commissary can get it since the one in Japan sells it...so I may ask you to bring your camera to the commissary to get a picture of the bottle and UPC code, which is what they apparently need here. Of course the difficult part is describing what it looks like to you at the commissary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a Three Bean Salad recipe that called for five beans so I added two more varieties, increased the liquid a bit, and added four olives. Move over, Julia!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails