Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mayberry, Japan

Have you missed me? That lovely photograph of plum blossoms Lee Love posted for us distracted me for a few days. The plum blossom tour bus was already fully subscribed when Sherri arrived at the tour office Friday afternoon so we are now working on Plan B. There's always a Plan B.

The Lunch Bunch went to Kamakura Wednesday for shopping and curry. We stopped by Reiko M's shop and were squinting at the display of bags and book covers in the window when Reiko appeared with key in hand. "Have you seen my new gallery?" she asked as she unlocked a door just to the left of her shop and ushered us into a narrow room lined with shelves. We admired the Hina Matsuri dolls on display, including ones Reiko's mother made for her, while she told us her plan to trot out her teacup collection next.

"Hmm," thought I. "Maybe I should open my own gallery when I return to the States. But do I have enough stuff to display?"

This was reason enough to pop into the Fujiya store before heading back to Yokosuka. I stocked up on Peko-chan stationery and treats packaged in Valentine's and Hina Matsuri themes while glancing longingly at the items in the glass case reserved for customers who possess a mysterious Point Card.

As I was handing over my yen, Robin chirped in her fluent Japanese, "Point-o card-o?" The cashier handed me my very own card after stamping the first eight squares. Does life get any better than this?

It does. When we got back to the base, Robin treated me to her amazing Barney Fife impersonation. This is when she convinced Gomer (that would be me) to follow a very dangerous driver. We tracked him to a handicapped spot right in front of the hospital and watched his either rather chubby or very pregnant wife stagger into the lobby. Barney wanted to follow them into the hospital to verify the pregnancy but Gomer was in a hurry to get home to work on his Peko-chan display.

3 comments:

  1. Barney and Gomer? Really? Couldn't we have been Starsky and Hutch? Cagney and Lacey, Butch and Sundance?

    RMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Cagney and Lacey would be best or maybe Thelma and Louise! Glad you got a point card started. Now only to fill it.
    KCW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kathleen! It's 6:19 am on 2/15 and we are heading to Starbucks for you since the O'Connors went skiing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails