Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oni wa Soto! Fuku wa Uchi!

If I'd been born in Japan rather than the United States, I'd be celebrating my brother's birthday by pelting him with beans. This is a tradition I fully intend to pass along to his children and grandchildren the next time I'm in Michigan.

Setsubun will be celebrated throughout Japan today. The customs surrounding this day date as early as the Ming Dynasty in China and, in Japanese form, began to take shape during the Muromachi Era (1392-1573) when customs like the tea ceremony and other genteel arts and practices often associated with Japan developed.

Setsubun is celebrated in many ways, but the most common custom is the traditional Mame Maki, the scattering/throwing of beans (mame) to chase away the evil oni (ogres/evil spirits). Sometimes the Toshi Otoko (which literally means "year man" but refers either to the "man of the house" or to men who born in the animal sign of the coming year -- tiger for 2010) will throw mame inside the house or at someone dressed as an oni and repeat the saying "Oni wa Soto! Fuku wa Uchi!" which means "Get out Ogre! Come in Happiness!"

After the ritual throwing of the beans, family members may pick up the number of beans corresponding to their age. Eating these beans promises good fortune in the coming year.



Unfortunately, it seems I ought to have sprung for the jumbo bag of beans.

Other celebrations of Setsubun involve eating Nori Maki, a special sushi roll. Particularly in Western Japan, many may face a "lucky direction" and try to eat the entire sushi roll without saying a word. Those who are able to accomplish this feat (the roll is about 20 cm long) are promised luck with their business, longevity, and freedom from illness.

In some places, the Nori Maki is made with a stuffing of seven colors which represent the Seven Gods of Happiness.

Tonight, many Japanese will decorate a holy tree in front of their houses with a head of a sardine, a clove of garlic, or an onion to keep the oni away for the coming year.

I think I'd better go get some more beans.


*Much of this entry was derived from an article written by Steve Renshaw and Saori Ihara, "Setsubun in Japan; A Lunar "New Years' Eve" (sic)
February, 2000 (Revised January 2010)

4 comments:

  1. I selflessly volunteer for Nori Maki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skill at assigning tags (AKA labels) humbles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would assign tags much more seriously if I thought I could parlay it into partial credit toward that MLS on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to functions where a bunch of Sykes' eat a bunch of beans. Usually ends badly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails