Monday, February 8, 2010

Lincoln's Four-Score Olive and Seven Bean Salad

Reiko and I were cooling our heels in the base pass office this afternoon, wondering how it could possibly take someone more than 72 hours to substitute one teacher's name (Kathryn) for another's (Margaret), when I started giggling. This had been happening off and on all day, thanks to the first comment Diane left on yesterday's post, the one where she suggested adding four-score olives to a tossed salad.

I was launching into a rather pedantic explication of "score" when Reiko -- no doubt recalling my 45-minute synopsis of Guns, Germs, and Steel just last Friday -- cut right to the chase. "Isn't a score twenty years? Like in 'four score and seven years'?" "Exactly! Or maybe like in 'four score and seven bean salad.' Or how about 'four-score olive and seven bean salad'?"

Voila! West meets East and explosive synergy results! The package already enroute to Norfolk has been hastily re-imagined as a prize rather than a surprise. It's a Japanese cookbook published by our mutual friend/photographer extraordinaire Kim Jordan.

Erin and Geraldine will both be rewarded for providing presidential trivia questions, although I'm a bit tempted to deduct cookies from Erin for sending me cherry trifle recipes peppered with heinous adjectives like sugar-free and low-fat.

As for Reiko, she's going to be my Ikebana guest next week. We're going to make kimekomi balls at Hachimangu Shrine in Kamakura. It looks like quilting minus the threading a needle part. Christmas ornaments, perhaps?

Okay, I'm off to track down seven different kinds of beans.

6 comments:

  1. You are so good at theme parties, as much as you begrudge them! You made my idea 10 times better! Glad I could help you plan one little piece of it, even from Norfolk! (And thanks for the prize, Kim's cookbook sounds amazing...is there by chance a sesame salad dressing recipe in there??? Kristin, Rebecca and I would be ecstatic!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a reward?! That's exciting!!! I can't wait to hear ALL about how to make kimekomi balls!

    Hey, I bought a set of interchangeable circular needles. They are made in Japan, pointed out to me by Katie. Usually called KA, which is Kinki Ambari, address 4368 Takayama-cho, Ikoma-city, Nara prefecture, 630-0101. Now that you are into knitting you might check them out. The circulars have a swivel function so that they never get all twisted! LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info, Geraldine. I remembered you mentioning Japanese needles so I have been biding my time whenever the Knitwits place a group order with their favorite American company. Now you have given me another great reason to visit Nara.

    I need your address!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in case you had some diabetics at the party you always have to be thinking:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ancient Mariner, you of all people must realize that everybody wins in Kathy's contests!

    Peevish, how do you know who anonymous is all the time?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails