Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Hairist of Them All

About 500 trick-or-treaters converged on our carport for two hours tonight. We had to close up shop at 6:30, about 15 minutes after most of our neighbors, when we ran out of candy, rice crackers, and those vanilla Pop Tarts I mistakenly bought for Matt a couple months ago.
By the time I got around to buying candy - that would be the day before yesterday - the seasonal aisle in the Navy Exchange was filled with Christmas ornaments and there were only four bags of Snickers to be found at the Commissary. Undaunted, I headed into town for Japanese treats.

This turned out to be a good move since I calculate my procrastination saved us roughly $75 and the ones Matt and I sampled tasted so awful that next year I probably won't have to spend a penny. Children will warn their friends to avoid the house with the nasty-tasting stuff.

"Here's the plan, Matt. We'll give Japanese treats to the American kids and Snickers to the Japanese kids."

"Your plan reeks of racism, Mother. Count me out."

"We need to review the difference between racism and cross-cultural experiences before you take the SAT next week. In the meantime, go ahead and call me a hairist because I intend to off all these rice crackers on the fair-haired goblins."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails