Thursday, October 29, 2009

So Many Bakeries, So Little Time

Late October is a good time to visit Japan. The temperature was a balmy 72 degrees when Matt and I touched down Tuesday afternoon and had crept up a notch or two by the time I set off for Yokohama City Hospital Wednesday afternoon.

Per Diana's instructions, I hopped on a local train toward Yokohama and 12 minutes later hopped off at the Kanazawa-Hakkei station where I spotted her right outside the turnstile. She led me to another train station serving the Seaside Line while I took careful notes (left at bakery, down an alley to the right, up a metal staircase). The Seaside Line offers a splendid view of Tokyo Bay and deposited us right at the entrance to the hospital.

I took copious notes once we entered the hospital: right at the elevator, through a pair of ominous unmarked metal doors, down a long hallway connecting the hospital with the medical school, left at a pair of pharmaceutical reps who look an awful lot like Secret Service agents (and, according to Diana, are permanent fixtures at this intersection), down another hallway, turn right, veer left, take the elevator to the sixth floor, turn right and then left to Dr. T's office.

These detailed directions are so Matt can rescue me if I get buried under one of the myriad towers of file folders and loose paper teetering precariously from floor to ceiling and door to window in Dr. T's office. His is the messiest workspace I've glimpsed since turning in the keys to my own office a couple of days before Matt was born.

Dr. T is a professor and department chairman at the medical school. He speaks in a whisper. He speaks so softly I could not understand a single word he said.

This will be a problem when I run out of monologues so I am already assuming I will be finding another "teacher" for him after three or four sessions which I will measure in trips to that intriguing bakery marking my first turn outside the train station.

(Note to Matt: Check the bakery before going all the way to Dr. T's office if I don't make it home next Tuesday.)

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh the bakeries! I miss them so but my diet and exercise seem to have much better resutls without them. Enjoy a little Blu Dore for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! Jen O and I have a date for a week from tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails