Saturday, October 17, 2009

It's Yamato Flea Market Day!

Have I mentioned I'm coordinating daytrips for the Oakleaf Club this year? We're called the Explorers and you don't have to be a medical spouse to tag along. Everyone is welcome, including you.

Today is the third Saturday of the month so we explored the monthly flea market at Yamato train station 36 miles west of Yokosuka. In Japan it takes about an hour to drive 36 miles.

We left the base at 6:30 am with me behind the wheel of a rental van. How's that for a scary thought? But it was either rent a van or remove all those bags marked "thrift shop" from the trunk of my car. I chose the path of least resistance.

We bought buttons, spindles, spools, a wooden box, an obi, and a reversible indigo jacket. The bakery adjacent to the train station offered a tempting assortment of snacks.

We were home by noon. Even though I left the directions on the kitchen counter for the second time in a week, we did not get lost. There seems to be a kernel of truth in that kinetic memory concept I fabulated the other day.

If you are thinking of visiting us while we're living in Japan, try to schedule your trip to overlap a third Saturday of the month so we can take you to the Yamato flea market.

3 comments:

  1. Times like this I really wish Katie was a shopper. She could have snatched up such wonderful items like those fantastic buttons!!!
    Sigh....
    gk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love your box(es), but despite my best search efforts, I believe it just wasn't meant to be for me! But all my other treasures are working well in my house. Did I tell you I decorated the girls' room in a Japanese theme? I ended up using my two spindles with pink and purple woven around them as 3-D shelves for the two kokeshi dolls I gave each girl on their 1st birthday (the only bday both girls were in Japan for). It's looking nice. While Brian's away I'm going to make quilts for their beds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we'd all appreciate a picture of those 3-D shelves. This box isn't as practical as my first. It is one square box with a shelf inside rather than three stacking boxes.

    I am keeping an eye out for stacking boxes for Diane. Then I will put some buttons in one of the boxes to force Diane and Geraldine to meet each other if they haven't already.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails