Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Weather Tracking, Animal House-style

The spirit of the late and lamented John Belushi apparently lives on at Weather Underground this week. Wrapping themselves in bedsheets, chanting "Typhoon! Typhoon! Typhoon!," and doling out planetary knicknames ("Hey, Pluto! Toss me another Kirin") is how I imagine a Weather Underground night shift plays out. Which would explain why the tracking map I posted earlier today -- at around 10:00 JST on Wednesday, October 7 -- is stamped "3am Thurs Oct 8."

Six hours ago the meteorologists said the typhoon would hit at 9:00 am tomorrow. School and other base closures were announced. Now it's once again looking like the storm will blow through while we're sleeping tonight. I'd stay up and watch it if I could connect with those wild and crazy weather guys. "Hi, you can call me Venus. Where do you want me to stash these six-packs?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails