Tuesday, February 8, 2011

On Japanese Appliances and Fruit Parfaits: Two More Reasons to Visit Kamiooka

Japanese kitchen appliances fascinate me.

My American friends here say drawer-style dishwashers are now available in the US but I will be sure to verify that and do some price checking before I return home empty-handed. My standard dishwasher in Virginia can accommodate twice as many dishes as Shinagawa-san's (pictured) but what's the point of an enormous appliance for only two people?

The refrigerators are tall and narrow, much like Beanpole who jumped at the opportunity to channel Vanna White when I pulled out my camera. Shinagawa-san's model has a freezer drawer in the middle and crisper drawer at the bottom. Some models have a separate drawer for ice.

"Beanpole, while you are in the kitchen, please grab the soy sauce."

"Now, please put the soy sauce back in the refrigerator from the other side."

See what I mean about Vanna White?

The Ancient Mariner and I priced Japanese refrigerators at Yamada Denki Labi in Kamiooka two days before he deployed.  We did not see a model that opens on both sides and I'm not willing to settle for less.

We also checked out irons - the cordless ones delight me - and computers with all the working parts built into the monitor.  Then we wandered back to the train station and sampled the fruit parfaits at the highly-touted Takano restaurant.  Those fruit parfaits alone are worth a trip to Kamiooka.  I am indebted to all my Japanese friends who recommended Takano.

6 comments:

  1. Will those appliances work with our elec current? What I'd like from Japan is one of those fancy toilet seats that's heated. It's been really cold lately and it would be nice to not be shocked by an icy toilet seat first thing in the morning!!....and I have a cordless iron. I like it a lot but one must learn to sit it on its base regularly to keep it hot.
    gk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the drawer style dishwashers which is a good idea for just two people. BUT that refrigerator is way cool! I'd like one of those :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely have to have one of those toilet seats. They are not all that expensive either (unless I messed up the decimal point when I did the conversion). The electric current concerns me but I am hoping my nephew-in-law Tim the Contractor or my friend Dave will offer a solution before I leave Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lot to occur over your amazing blog. Your blog procures me a fantastic transaction of enjoyable.. Salubrious lot beside the scene. Best Air Fryer for Family of 4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any Brand Appliance fix can illuminate you in the event your machine stays not useful rather it is outside or inside the guarantee time frame. subzero refrigerator repair houston

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails