Monday, February 7, 2011

Knot the Best of Days But Knot the Worst Either

The Ancient Mariner left Japan this morning aboard the USS Blue Ridge while you were tuning in the Super Bowl. This is our first long deployment since Matt left for college, meaning the first time in "our" Navy career I've been left to my own devices. Uh, oh.

Don't worry, though. Three puzzle magazine subscriptions and an adventure computer game or two will keep me out of the bars four nights a week. The other three nights I'll be at rehearsals for the Yokosuka International Players' production of Steel Magnolias. Incredibly, I landed a part other than Ouizer (Shirley MacLaine). I'm Clairee, the role Olympia Dukakis played in the movie. My "Foxy Red" wigs - think Lucille Ball - arrived last week. Line memorization is the next order of business. The director seems less than amused by my ad libs although a couple were corkers. (I used the word 'corkers' for the benefit of my Japanese readers who like to see new words.)

Another thing I'll be doing is smocking, thanks to Hisayo-san who graciously showed us how to make purses like the ones we saw at the Yokosuka Quilt Exhibit last fall.

She took us to Kamakura to buy fabric last month. Artistic, Weather, Beanpole (she’s new), Kaji-san, and Otsuka-san are using moirĂ© fabric but I opted for denim because, assuming I ever complete this project, the purse will wind up under the Christmas tree of someone who prefers denim to moirĂ©. That narrows down the prospective recipient list to my sister, most of my sisters-in-law, my daughter, my sons’ girlfriends, my stepdaughters, my nieces, and my college roommate. They all know better than to hold their breath.

She assigned us homework: drawing a grid on the reverse side of our fabric. This required coming to grips with the length of a centimeter. Don’t tell Sr.Josephus, but Math Wizard here found herself three columns short on her first pass.


Last Friday we went to Shinagawa-san's house and learned how to connect the diagonal lines. There's a great deal of thread knotting and cutting involved. I'd probably be working my way down the first column still if Artistic hadn't taught me how to tie a knot the Japanese way. It's so easy that I think I might finish this project. Or at least the smocking part.

3 comments:

  1. I am very interested in seeing this finished because I smock and have never seen a grid like this. What happened to just connecting the pleats?
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've attempted anything like this so I don't know anything about connecting the pleats. I'll find sample pictures of finished products for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, me too!! I want to know how this is done as I was very disappointed when I found out how really simple smocking can be!
    gk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails