Sunday, February 13, 2011

Major Pettigrew Finds Favor in Japan

Kyoko and Tsuneko had lots of positive things to say about Helen Simonson's Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. As usual, I suffered hours of misgivings after assigning the book, fretting that the droll humor would baffle rather than amuse my Japanese friends. As usual, I was wrong. Tsuneko said this is her favorite of all the English-language books she has read.

Our April assignment is Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold, "a novel inspired by the life and marriage of Charles Dickens." This is one I haven't read in advance. The reviews are mixed but it was long-listed for the Booker Prize and I figure the subject matter will be fertile ground for a lively discussion. Did you know that Dickens relegated his wife of twenty years, the mother of his children, to a basement while he cavorted with a much younger woman near the end of his life? News to me.  The nuns never shared the juicy stuff.


Kyoko wore one of her hand-knitted creations, a top-down sweater, to inspire me to continue with my new hobby. Last time she wore a burgundy vest but I forgot to take a picture.

I cherish the time I spend with my Japanese book club ladies. The feeling seems to be mutual as they have proposed meeting for lunch in Kamakura midway between now and our next book club session. They also bought tickets to see me make a fool of myself in Steel Magnolias. This makes them either true friends or gluttons for punishment.

1 comment:

  1. Without a doubt, true friends! And please tell Kyoko I love that sweater!
    gk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails