Saturday, February 19, 2011

I Should Have Had a V-8, But I'm Glad I Didn't

My Japanese friends who recommended Takano Fruit Parlor in the Kamiooka train station warned me the parfaits are pricey. Takano's is a special occasion sort of destination, the kind of place I can imagine taking my future grandchildren as a birthday treat just like my Grandma Crippen took me and my siblings to Loud & Jackson Dairy on our birthdays. This annual event was as anticipated as Santa Claus coming down the chimney, at least by two of her nine local grandchildren.

So, after my initial visit to Takano Fruit Parlor with the Ancient Mariner, I managed to wait all of eight days before returning there with Fearless and her winsome 12-year old twins in tow. For a few seconds I felt slightly guilty and gluttonous. Then it dawned on me: Grandma visited Loud & Jackson Dairy at least nine times a year and surely reprised this excursion with my out-of-town cousins whenever they visited Jackson.  I am honored to have inherited her sweet tooth. 

Fearless and I ordered the special Valentine's parfaits. The twins opted for the only non-fruit items on the menu, chocolate parfaits, even though I fretted that the cubes in the picture might be tofu rolled in chocolate.

Now I will shut up and show you what the waitress placed in front of us.


Pink mousse heart with red gelatin core front a brownie heart

Rear View: flaky frosted cookie and scoop of vanilla ice cream laced with strawberry sherbet

Whipped cream, strawberry pudding, vanilla soft serve, and strawberry (real) shaved ice

Monica's chocolate parfait.  The cubes are "Melty" chocolates.

I (barely) restrained myself from licking the bowl.

The special Valentine's parfait cost 1450 yen (about $18) and the price included tea or coffee.

With the money I saved by not having my Kamakura-bori lacquered, I figure I can visit Takano Fruit Parlor three more times.

2 comments:

  1. Depending on when your future grandchildren actually do emerge into the world and grow old enough to enjoy such treats, it may be a pricey to take them all the way to Takano from somewhere in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so I carefully inserted "the kind of place". I will probably whip up parfaits at home to top off weekly Sunday dinners.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails