Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Skinny on Those Hand-Cut "Crack Noodles"

Weather and Fearless at Kyokarou Honkan
My friends and neighbors have been raving about a restaurant in Yokohama's Chinatown that serves fresh hand-cut noodles in a spicy Szechuan broth. A legion of addicted fans have dubbed them "crack noodles." Weather Explorer is one of those fans and today she shepherded Fearless and me to Kyokarou Honkan where we treated our tastebuds to what might very well be the Eighth Wonder of the World.

My discerning mouth decided the broth is even more remarkable than the noodles.  It's deliciously spicy with a bit of an afterkick solid enough to purge your sinus cavities.  There weren't many napkins left in the table dispenser after Fearless and I finished blowing our noses, suggesting this is a place to take your friends rather than entertain your boss.

We had the two-pepper dish (upper right corner, above) for 700 yen. It looks like you'll have to pay 200 yen more for the dinner version.

Clicking on this post's title will take you to the restaurant's webpage. It's mostly in Japanese but you'll find an address and telephone number in English in the bottom right corner if you scroll down. Hours are 11:30 am to 9:30 pm.

We took the Minatomirai Line from Yokohama station to Motomachi-Chukagai, the last station, but the restaurant is just as easily accessible from Ishikawacho station on the JR Keihin-Tohoku or JR Negishi line out of Yokohama station. While you're in Yokohama station, be sure to pick up one of the latest English maps of the city at the information shop on the main concourse.

I hope you have an opportunity to experience "crack noodles" the next time you are in the vicinity of Yokohama's Chinatown. It's my distinct pleasure, not to mention civic duty, to share Weather Explorer's restaurant tip with you.

3 comments:

  1. Pip and I are disappointed you didn't bring any home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of our favorite restaurants! I'm glad you "discovered" it as well. Did you know I had posted this restaurant in my neglected blog many, many years ago! I even embedded a video of the guy shaving the noodles into the large vat of boiling water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that video now that you mention it! I'm going to scramble around and try to dig it up so I can do a little embedding of my own.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails