Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Case of Inordinate, Immoderate, Overweening Pride: The First Quilt Blocks

The quilt blocks for the Tsunami Relief Exhibit were handed over to Shinagawa-san yesterday morning. Now they are hanging in the lobby of the Mercure Hotel in Yokosuka. All three of them! Every little mistake glares at me and all the big mistakes make me cringe. But it was a fun learning experience and I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment right now. Simply meeting a deadline is out of character for me.

Woven Ribbons

Moon Over Mount Fuji

Sailors Within Squares

On the back of each block I wrote "Tomodachi" (friendship) and my name.

Of course my work pales in comparison with everyone else's.

Weather Explorer included a Japanese flag and sewed shiny beads on her first quilt block.
Shinagawa-san's labor of love is entirely hand-stitched.

Fukutani-san created a bride and groom from PET bottles!

Fukutani-san's satin and velvet purse
The Ancient Mariner and I are heading into town for Thai food now. Maybe we'll just happen to stroll through the lobby of the Mercure Hotel and glance ever so casually at the quilt exhibit.

3 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to post here that I am impressed with your achievements. (This is my third attempt to post this message.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your persistence. There's something going on with Blogger and I can no longer comment the usual way. It's a pain in the patoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed! And only you would think there are mistakes because I don't see any :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails