Friday, June 3, 2011

Ofuna Botanical Garden: The Illustrated Version

Last week my camera was on the fritz when Ishii-san took me to Flower Center Ofuna Botanical Garden. Today I had better luck, thanks perhaps to that lucky purple wildflower we spotted in Kamakura yesterday.  Maybe it's the Japanese version of a four-leaf clover. 
A section of the Iris canal
What a difference a week makes in the life of a garden at this time of year. The peonies were no longer blooming, alas, but the irises and lilies offered sweet consolation.

The shortest lilies are starting to open.

The roses paid a toll to last weekend's driving rainstorms, but more in terms of looks than fragrance. I can see why elderly ladies in bygone eras liked to dab rosewater on their pulse points. Maybe I'll add resurrecting that tradition to my list of things to do in the Ancient Mariner's retirement.

The greenhouse sits off to the side of the ornamental garden

Daffy Explorer and Junior Explorer
My companions today were Daffy, Fearless, and Weather along with a new Navy spouse younger than two of my children.  She was appropriately dubbed "Junior Explorer" by Weather who returned from a whirlwind trip to China just in time to experience Ofuna with us and start packing for a July move to Tennessee.  But I'll think about that tomorrow...

Rather than sharing one of the dozens of pretty pictures I took in the water lily room inside the greenhouse, I thought you might be more interested - whether you realize it or not - in the unique platter-like leaves on the plant in the back left corner. 

In the days ahead, at random intervals, I'll be sharing more pictures from the Ofuna Botanical Garden.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails