Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mashiko Revisited

I am a bit wound up tonight after a whirlwind trip to Mashiko, the pottery town where I met my first tanuki three years ago.


Distracted as I was by the tanuki in the fall of 2006, I failed to realize Mashiko translates to "crucify her." That's what half my busmates were muttering when I reached our rendezvous place ten minutes after the appointed time. When I made my final purchase of the day 15 minutes before the bus was scheduled to depart Mashiko, how was I supposed to know the clerks would insist on creating a custom packing crate for each pot?



"Psst! Mimi! Are they going to give me some sort of prize for bringing the most guests?"

"Well, Tanuki-girl, that was the original plan but they revoked your prize at five minutes past the hour."

"But I showed them those kilns that have belonged to the same family for seven generations!"

"That is true, Tanuki-girl."

"And they were all ecstatic when I pushed them into the indigo dyeing workshop and they got to watch that craftsman tending a dozen bubbling vats."


"Yes, Tanuki-girl, that was truly memorable. The grass growing on the thatched roof was an especially nice touch."


"At least YOU are still speaking to me. Do you want to take pictures of ourselves in the bathroom mirror at the next truck stop?"
"Sure thing. And be sure to post them on Facebook. I just love it when you do that."

1 comment:

  1. On the other hand, the tanuki looks, um, "happy" to see you...

    Signed, The Corker

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails