Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bringing Home the Gyoza

Part of my first paycheck was squandered on a dozen gyoza (you Yanks call them potstickers; Matt and I call them dinner).

That impulse purchase became a family tradition a week later when I picked up 18 of those succulent dumplings and two sushi rolls on my way home from (chuckle) "work". I upped my order because Matt's friend John has been hanging out at our house to help break in the video game Matt talked me into buying. He called it a tool for "re-bonding" with the Ancient Mariner when the USS Blue Ridge eventually returns to Yokosuka. "Eventually" is OPSEC code for "a couple more days."

My Taiwanese friend, the Moon Cake whipper-upper and general glutton for punishment in culinary matters, calls gyoza by their original Chinese name, jiaozi, and insists they must be boiled thrice. I prefer mine fried to a crisp on one side then steamed before smothering them in soy sauce. (Dr. T is encouraging me to transition to low sodium soy sauce. My taste buds shrivel at the prospect.)

Thinking to save myself roughly $10 a week by making gyoza in my own kitchen, I stumbled upon a Chinese recipe calling for "strong flour." Say what? There was really no need to read any further but my eyes drifted down a line and spotted "knead until dough is the softness of an earlobe."

Yum.

3 comments:

  1. Japanese food by any name sounds really wonderful just now. My taste buds are teeming in anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like someone needs to gargle with Listerine for a minimum of 3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gyoza which are one of the most popular foods in Japan today.three factors helped make gyoza part of the Japanese diet. First, repatriation of Japanese from the dumpling-eating areas of northern China brought dumpling making skills. Second, a shortage of rice made foods that used other grains gyoza have wrappers made of wheat more important. And third, all sorts of outside markets opened up, with most having food stalls that served simple food like gyoza.

    nintendo dsi r4

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails