Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tit for Tat-tat-tat-tat-tat

Peko-chan might be ready for Halloween but I am not. I'm still working on producing those overdue photo cards for the Japanese and American Wives Club.

Actually, the Ancient Mariner did the creative work this year with me barking suggestions over his shoulder. "Don't forget to save!" "Try a text box!" "Make the font smaller!" "Add a background color!" "Get rid of the background color!"

Right now he's standing in front of the printer, coaxing sixty Japanese postcards through the feeder one-by-one. We learned the hard way that the printer can't handle more than two in a row without jamming.

Yes, the man's a peach. Do I feel guilty? Not on your life.

Two weeks ago, you see, just before he left for San Diego via Hawaii, I offered to line edit the novel he penned during his spring and summer deployments. Based on what I gleaned from the first twelve chapters, his novel is what Gregor Mendel might produce if he crossed a Harlequin romance with a Tom Clancy book. Neither is a genre I find appealing, but I have to credit the Ancient Mariner with an imagination that rivals Walter Mitty's. Who knew?

Last night when I handed in my first 72 line-edited pages, he passed me 200 more pages to peruse. So do I feel guilty about asking him to produce those cards for me? Not on your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails