Friday, October 7, 2011

Peevish (sort of) Covers a Tea Box

It's fun to cover a tea box with fabric!

Asako didn't let me hold the glue gun when it came time to create that rosette or attach the cord, but I did get to cut my fabric and use a staple gun to affix batting and the fabric to the box. She let me sew two seams and Artistic taught me how to tie off my thread like a semi-pro. And I can take credit for two of the four mitered corners. (I am fairly certain "mitered" is the proper term.)

I was born in a Year of the Dragon and will be celebrating my fifth Dragon cycle in 2012, a special birthday which in Japan signifies the beginning of one's second life. That's what prompted me to choose fabric with a dragon pattern.


When Asako asked if she could have the largest piece of my leftover dragon fabric, I gave it to her begrudgingly. Fifteen uses for that fabric crossed my mind. We all know it will be a miracle if I ever get around to actually starting one of those projects let alone finishing it. Still.

The pained smile on my face when I handed over that remnant was probably obviously phony, especially compared with the genuine grin that lit up my face a second later when she told me she plans to use the fabric to cover a small tea box for my first grandchild who will arrive in the Year of the Dragon.

I really have to work on being a nicer person . . .

7 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that no Japanese person would ever ask for something like that and then just keep it for themselves. I immediately guessed that she would be making something for you! My overflowing craft room is a testimony to the fact that I'm WAY too stingy and should be giving away more. Maybe I'll work on that.....maybe.....
    gk

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS-forgot to say I LOVE the tea box! 8^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps we should organize a fabric swap when I get back to the US. I'll definitely be spending time in Texas with that grandbaby, and you always seem to have a reason to visit the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come back to Norfolk and teach me how to cover tea boxes! Can you even get tea boxes in the US? I have a bunch of fabric and I'd share :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I'll try to stock up on some before I come home. Thanks for giving me a reason to hit some more shrine sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will keep the tea-leaf or the tea powder in some glass containers, and later you will keep them Tea Boxes in proper packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! stojo cup in Singapore

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails