Monday, May 23, 2011

Curious George and the Samurai Helmet

Back in the late 1980s, the most treasured book in our house was Curious George Rides a Bike. The book's main appeal, as I recall, was the detailed instructions for transforming a newspaper into a boat. We folded lots of newspapers in those years and marched around the house with boats on our heads. It's a happy memory for me, and I think the same holds true for my children.

I remembered those boat hats when I stumbled across several fabric samurai helmets at the quilt show the other day.  Pip wasn't around during the Boat Hat Era so I think maybe we should spend our time during the Ancient Mariner's summer deployment folding all the fabric in my closet into samurai helmets.  I certainly have enough fabric to cover the heads of 24-and-still-counting great-nieces and -nephews.  Plus mine and Pip's, of course.

Shinagawa-san is on a quest to find the instructions.  My fingers are crossed.   


3 comments:

  1. And how did Curious George learn to ride a bike by making paper boats? That could explain a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I have seen that helmet in an origami book. I would start in that section of a book store!
    gk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found origami instructions but I'm holding off until the serious quilters/crafters weigh in just in case there's a magical technique for incorporating several different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails