Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fear and Trembling in Yokosuka, Part IV: Low-level Radiation and Pinball Expertise

Well, I didn't travel to Yokohama to chat with Dr. T about his miserable experience after all.  I spotted this message on facebook when I was checking today's train schedules.

****** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE *******
by Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 10:44am

At approximately 0700 local (Japan) time, 15 March 2011, sensitive instrumentation on USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (CVN 73) pier-side in Yokosuka, detected low levels of radioactivity from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant. While there is no danger to the public, Commander, Naval Forces Japan is recommending limited precautionary measures for personnel on Fleet Activities Yokosuka and Naval Air Facility Atsugi, including:
A. Limiting outdoor activities.
B. Securing external ventilation systems as much as practical.

These measures are strictly precautionary in nature. We do not expect that any United States Federal radiation exposure limits will be exceeded even if no precautionary measures are taken. We are continuing to analyze the situation and will update you as we learn more.


The reaction here ranged from "Uh-oh" and "Don't panic" to "What about our schoolchildren?"  The credit for that question goes to my next-door neighbor, a commanding officer and father of two small children.  Thanks to him, the message was subsequently amended to let us know that the children would remain indoors, school would end at the usual time, and school will be held tomorrow.  I'm glad that someone like Curt has the ear of the base leadership.  I wish they were smart enough to run their messages past him before posting them on facebook.

Right now my brain feels like a pinball machine right after the first ball hits the sweet spot and releases all those bonus balls.  There are so many thoughts pinging around in my head.  I hope I can capture at least a few of them in words.  I won't take it personally if you don't have the energy to process my efforts.  I just need to talk right now and you're there while I'm way over here.  Which has some distinct advantages, of course.  Mainly you can walk away in the middle of our 'conversation' and I won't think you're rude because I won't even know.  And if some sort of worst-case scenario unfolds, you can always come back and read this at a later date.  Don't feel guilty if that happens.  Don't ever, ever, ever feel guilty about anything you have ever said or not said to me, or any attention you have paid or not paid to me.

Here are my first three thoughts:

1.  I'm not worried.
2.  Don't feel guilty.
3.  Do not ever assume someone in a position of authority is half as smart as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails