Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquake: JAW-dropping Irony

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

On Tuesday, March 8, the Japanese and American Wives (JAW) visited Anshinkan, the Yokosuka Municipal Disaster Prevention Center. We saw an informative video about how our host city handles large-scale disasters and then we entered the Disaster Simulation Zone where we tested our skills against an intensity 7 earthquake.

Three days later, on Friday, March 11, we experienced from a distance of about 200 miles Japan's most powerful earthquake in 140 years. That was close enough for me. I don't think I've ever felt as terrified, I know I've never felt so alone, but I certainly felt prepared. 

The Anshinkan staff taught us how to operate fire extinguishers. They reminded me of airline stewardesses except I paid closer attention to them since I knew I was going to be tested. Maybe airline stewardesses should actually press the button to drop those oxygen masks now and then so we can practice covering our faces before assisting the small child sitting next to us.

Mine was the first foursome to enter the Disaster Simulation Zone. Being first meant we wouldn't have the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of others. This made me nervous. And a bit bossy. "Psst! Weather Explorer! You're in charge of turning off the gas on that stove after the earthquake!" "Say what?" "You heard me."

We did not know we were being videotaped. 

The room started shaking. We dove under the table.  The shaking went on far longer than I expected, but not as long as the real earthquake three days later.

The shaking stopped.  Weather turned off the gas.  We shouted "Fire!" to alert our pretend neighbors and then we scampered into the next room.


The 'fire' is on a screen across the room from us

Here's what the fire looks like when it's nearly extinguished. Blue laser beams assured us we were pointing our fire extinguishers in the proper direction.

Once the fire was extinguished, we exited the Disaster Simulation Zone through a back door and scurried through a warren of passages while keeping low to the ground and covering our noses and mouths. Yet another reason, I suppose, that Japanese men always carry towels in their back pockets.


We viewed displays of firefighter apparel and disaster kit items. The photo above shows items recommended for inclusion in a secondary disaster kit. I had been looking for an excuse to invest in one of those gas burners (bottom, far right). "Be careful what you ask for" springs to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails