Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wearing Green with the JAW Ladies

Keiko says, "Happy birthday, David Lawrence Patrick Sykes!"



At the JAW St. Patrick's Day party we learned that there are more Irish-Americans in the United States than there are Irish in Ireland.



Then we helped the Japanese ladies play bingo and word search. My partner won both games. I almost feel bad about elbowing her out of the way in the heat of that word search.



Then we learned an Irish step dance. We tried to remember to keep our knees together because our quite pregnant instructor told us that is how authentic Irish dancing is distinguished from clogging, an American derivation involving much looser moves with knees flapping all over the place.

Begorrah, thought I, no doubt that knees-apart clogging is how there came to be more Irish-Americans in the United States than Irish in Ireland. But I did not blurt out my latest insight during the party. I was too busy trying to breath while skipping and jumping and reeling.



The corned beef and cabbage was a big hit with the Japanese ladies. The baked potato bar was a big hit with me.

The next time we get together the Japanese ladies are taking us to a temple in Kanazawa-bunko to view cherry blossoms. I think I will bring along my Dropkick Murphys CD and try to stage Irish step dancing under the cherry trees. Look for it on YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy - Tell Keiko thanks for the birthday greeting. I want to know how we missed the place with wild monkeys and a beer garden when Sandy and I visited you on your last tour. I believe that you just insured that we will be making a return trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Love, Sandy. P.S. I like the music!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails