Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cherry Blossom Viewing Party #1

Someone had a bit too much sake at Tadodai House last night. It wasn't this man in the WWII aviator hat. He was drinking beer when he wasn't pouring it on my shoe.


The Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force Cherry Blossom Viewing Party is an annual event. Mike and I were unable to attend either year during his commanding officer tour so I was not keen on missing another one just because Mike's deployed. I don't know how we rated an invitation this year but I only scratched my head for about five seconds before saying yes.




Being the only representative of Navy Medicine in attendance was a crushing responsibility but I did my best to exude dignity, grace, and serenity throughout the evening.

Valerie was there with her husband, John, the commanding officer of the weather station (it's called something else but I'm too lazy to check references tonight).

Robyn and Curt live next to us and gave me a lift to and from the party bus. Curt is the commanding officer of ATG which stands for something or other and has something to do with Seabees.

Nonie and Keiko were looking particularly fetching I thought.

This is the piece de resistance. I am indebted to Yoriko Kosano for the introduction and the photo. The first person (not you, Ancient Mariner) to correctly guess the name of this young man's father will receive some carmelized almond mushroom-shaped cookies. Hint: the father held a high political office just a few years ago.

3 comments:

  1. Even without the hint, the family resemblance is striking. But I won't give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing he's the son of Junichiro Koizumi....
    gk

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a winner! I'll add your prize to the box with your Presidential Trivia Contest prize, Geraldine. Don't forget to send me your address in either Portsmouth or San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails