Friday, March 26, 2010

Getting Stuffed with the Quilters

"Let's go spend some of our clean money on lunch!"


"Look, Kathy-san! That lady in the field below us is wearing the same outfit as you!"

"Look! Those cars are parked facing in rather than out. They must belong to American drivers." "No, Kathy-san, they are parked facing in because there are signs reminding the drivers that there is a house behind the fence. It is bad manners to back into a space when doing so would send exhaust fumes toward a home."

Plentiful signs in both Japanese and English make exploring Kamakura easy. Mastery of the metric system is helpful but not necessary.

"If anyone needs to use the restroom, we will have to order lunch or a snack."

"Does anything on the menu appeal to you, Kathy-san?" "Everything sounds so delicious. Let's go in."

"Oh, how cute! I have an antique stained glass window just like that leaning against the wall in my closet."

Hisayo and Kayoko ordered seafood pasta topped by what they insist were tiny shrimp. "Are those red things insects?" whispered Weather Girl.

The Americans all chose pasta with a tomato sauce and eggplants. "Those white cubes had better be mozzarella and not tofu," whispered Picky Eater.

If there is hamburger on a menu, Hiroko never fails to order it. Yes, there is a hamburger under that egg.

More times than not, sugar is served in liquid form. I assume it's like Karo syrup but I wouldn't know for sure because I prefer my sugar in cookie and candy form.

This was probably the second time in my life I've opted for tea outside a Chinese restaurant. When the waitress filled my cup and the heart appeared, I could not contain my delight. I might order tea more often in the future.

"We forgot to order dessert." "I'm too stuffed to eat dessert." "I'll be too stuffed for dessert when pigs fly."








5 comments:

  1. I now find myself wondering if I've ever backed into a parking spot facing someone's Japanese home....and feeling all gomen nasai about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell that good old Catholic guilt to take a rest. You might be confusing reality with a video game. In order to back into a parking spot outside a Japanese house, you would first have to drive a vehicle off the base property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possibly the Catholic guilt popped up because of the Virgin Mary image in the tea cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do see the apparition in the tea cup! I sense a possible stageplay script in that. Oh, wait, that's already been done, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I see her too! The play to which he's referring is Our Lady of the Tortilla or something like that which we saw with Jill about twenty years ago in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails