Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sushi at Tsukiji

The sun never fails to shine on the Shonan Ladies.

Last Friday's weather was glorious, perfect for strolling from Higashi-Ginza to Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market. We approached the market from a slightly different tack than the one the twentysomethings and I took last summer and spent a lot more time shopping and a lot less time in the fish market itself. I'll be a seasoned tour guide by the time the Ancient Mariner manages to squeeze Tsukiji into his busy schedule.

The streets surrounding Tsukiji are very narrow and the restaurants are small so we divided into lunch groups the minute we hit the market. The tempuras went left and the sushis headed right.

One of my blog readers steered me toward a shop offering those tiny fish I mistook for mozzarella cheese on my pasta at the Yokosuka Museum of Art a while back. They come in more than one color. I didn't buy any.


As you can tell from the plethora of shopping bags (left), my companions were less reluctant than I to part with their yen. We are doing our level best to keep the Japanese economy afloat.

I was a bit trepiditious about choosing the sushi group but it boiled down to choosing what I considered the lesser of two evils, octopus, over a mushroom fried in batter. The decision turned out to be excellent. I ended up eating Mimi's octopus as well as my own.

She now owes me a favor. I'm pretty sure I see a mushroom in her future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails