Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Kimono and Obi Creations

Just around the corner from the Kamakura train station is La Mia, my friend Matsuzuki's shop and gallery. Matsuzuki transforms old kimono and obis into purses, book covers, coasters, and all manner of interesting clothing.

My path first crossed Matsuzuki's in the fall of 2006, shortly after I arrived in Japan. When it was the medical spouses' turn to host the monthly luncheon for all the officer spouses on base, my friend Ginny asked Matsuzuki to provide the entertainment. She showed us how to turn kimono scraps and sake cups into pincushions. The following spring I ran into her again at my first Shonan event. We've been friends ever since.

Last week I visited her shop with Mimi and Denise. Mimi had commissioned a skirt embellished with a fancy obi to wear to the hospital Christmas party. By the time left the shop, Denise had selected an obi for a skirt and a gold-colored kimono which Matsuzuki will turn into a blouse.

Matsuzuki also sells her creations at various bazaars on base but I prefer to visit her shop because I believe she should not have to share one-eighth of her profits, not counting the cost of renting booth space, with the Navy Exchange or any other organization. Some Americans, I suspect, do all their shopping at these bazaars and rarely venture off base. Just think what they are missing.

This jacket catches my eye while Mimi and Denise are being fitted.  With the exception of the three-quarter length sleeves, everything about it appeals to me. "Can you make me a jacket with wrist-length sleeves so I won't have to worry about what I wear underneath?" "Certainement!" Have I mentioned that Matsuzuki spent most of her childhood in France?

Which kimono ahould I choose for my jacket? My choices are especially plentiful because Matsuzuki and her friends have been cleaning their closets. The gallery is filled with basket upon basket of old kimono this week.

The pale blue kimono with turquoise lining speaks to me. It says, "You are getting on in years. Your kimono jacket will likely outlive you. This pale blue shade will look very nice on your sister and your daughter."

Look who's here! It's Hagiwara-san, another Shonan friend. She is shopping with her husband who is very handsome. You'll have to take my word on that, though, since I was so caught up with uttering the polite introduction syllables in their proper order that I didn't think to snap a photograph of him. Gomen nasai.

We had warned Matsuzuki in advance that we would be visiting her shop that day so she tasked her son with minding the store while we enjoyed a leisurely lunch. She took us to a lovely Chinese restaurant above the Enoden Line side of the train station.

The food and conversation were not all that was memorable about the lunch. Two little girls at the table next to us were all dressed up in kimono, perhaps celebrating 3-5-7 day two weeks early. Matsuzuki's explanation of the November 15 holiday differs from ones we've heard previously but makes eminent sense. Just a century or so ago, many children did not survive until their third birthday so the nation rejoiced over the ones who did. The nation rejoiced again when a child turned five and turned seven. Children who lived to the age of seven were considered likely to reach adulthood so further celebrations were not required.

2 comments:

  1. So, can we look forward to seeing you in that pale blue full lenght jacket some time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to check out the shop sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails