Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tokyo Tower

Overheard in Roppongi on June 9:

"Hey, Mom!  What's this orange metal thing that looks like the Eiffel Tower?"

"It's Tokyo Tower, a television antenna erected in 1958.  The tower is over 1,000 feet high and has two observation decks, the Grand Observation Platform at 492 feet and the Special Observation Platform at 820 feet."

"I think you memorized this brochure.  Can we go up?  Puh-lease?"

"Well, okay.  Get in line behind those three dozen Japanese schoolchildren and try to control your excitement.  You are an unofficial ambassador of the United States while you are in Japan.  One of those elevators over there will take us up to the first platform."

"The kids sure look cute in their school uniforms."

"Yes, they do, but those girls are not children.  They are elevator operators."

"And they do a great job.  That was one smooth ri--Wow!  Tokyo sure is big.  It stretches all the way to the horizon in every direction.  Emily and I want to check out the view from the Special Observation Platform."

"Go ahead.  Aunt Suzi and I will stay here and play with this map display.  It's fun to see how the city has grown and changed from the Edo Era to the Meiji Era to today."

*****

"Suzi!  Come over here and check out this floor window.  Don't stand too close!"

"Why not?  That big Sumo guy just walked right across the floor window over there."

"Eek!  He's doing it again just to scare us."

"What a joker.  Ha, ha.  I sure could use a beer to calm my heart rate back down."

"Me, too.  Let's tour a beer museum after I use the restroom."

"I'm not a rocket scientist, but I am going to assume one of these two buttons makes the toilet flush."

"Yes, but which one?  And what happens if you push the wrong button?  We are 492 feet in the air."

"Gee, you really did memorize that broch--Ha!  I think I might have figured out what happens if you push the wrong button.  The sign over the sink says "This isn't good to drink.'"

"Well, I'm pretty thirsty but I think I'll hold out for a beer."

Next:  Yebisu Beer Museum

1 comment:

  1. I'm always concerned by the toilet buttons. I'm afraid what I think is a courtesy flushing sound button is really going to be the I need help, call the Tokyo fire department button.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails