Tuesday, May 11, 2010

They're Back! Part One *

Her heart started racing the second the e-mail popped up on her screen. "They're back!"

She typed a quick acknowledgement - "I LOVE you!" - before clicking send, grabbing her car keys, and scampering out the door. It was a dark and rainy night and she hadn't paused to grab an umbrella but she didn't care. They're back!

Flashing her ID card, she entered the brightly lit building. She squared her shoulders and took off at a trot for the far corner of the cavernous room just as music erupted from the loudspeakers overhead.

It's getting near dawn,
When lights close their tired eyes.
I'll soon be with you my love,
To give you my dawn surprise.
I'll be with you darling soon,
I'll be with you when the stars start falling.


Cream. "Sunshine of Your Love," 1968, Sophomore and Junior dances. Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker. Forty-two years evaporated like ground fog on a sunny morning and she was back in her groove.

I've been waiting so long (right hip thrust)
To be where I'm going (left hip thrust)
In the sunshine of your love. (spin, shimmy, butt wiggle)

Life does not get more perfect than this.

Swinging her shoulders and dipping her knees every time Ginger's hands slapped those tom-toms, she danced across the room. She almost didn't see them but then her eyes lit up. They had changed slightly since she last laid eyes on them nearly three months ago, but it was definitely them. Hallelujah!

Carefully timing her movements to correspond with the drum beat, she tossed four boxes of Pillsbury Pie Crusts into her cart.

I've been waiting so long (one)
I've been waiting so long (two)
I've been waiting so long (three)
To be where I'm going (four)
In the sunshine of your love.

A song from her college days came on as she pushed her cart toward the checkout line. "Lola". She has a routine for that one too.

* Today's post was made possible through the generosity of the Jen O'Connor Foundation for Food Shortage Research. I really do love her.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting here at the computer, rather than getting organized for the pack-out tomorrow, and laughing my butt off. I'm glad they still had some; I was sorry I hadn't thought to just grab a bunch and put them in my own cart for you. Love you, too. Can't wait for Monday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails