Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tick, Tock

My brother Jim turns 50 today. This boggles my mind.
Jim's the baby of the family, the youngest of six. The year he entered St. John's School as a first grader I made the leap across the central foyer to join my older brothers in the high school. This was the only year all of us attended the same school; Jerry left for the University of Dayton the following autumn.
Jimmy was incredibly precocious, of course, with five older siblings to teach him the ways of the world. Yet I still have not adjusted to the fact he has a driver's license let alone two teenage daughters. In deference to my nieces, I'm going to wait until Jimmy turns 60 before sharing some of my favorite stories.

4 comments:

  1. So, if Jimmy was in first grade and you and your older brothers in high school...how was that the same school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school we attended, the same school our father, uncle, and aunt had attended, educated children from first through twelfth grade until 1968. This form of education was not unusual, particularly for parochial schools but also for public schools such as the one my first husband attended near Grand Rapids, Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... I'm going to wait until Jimmy turns 60 before sharing some of my favorite stories."

    Do you mean to tell me there are MORE Sykes stories - ones that haven't been TOLD yet????? Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that they are all getting to the age that when any Sykes story is told, there is a good chance that one or more of them thinks they are hearing it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails