Monday, July 20, 2009

And On The Third Day, They Mastered Skype

We used our computer to call Katie and James this morning. Thanks to a nifty program called SKYPE, we now have a Virginia telephone number and can call the U.S. for $.021/minute. And it works both ways - Katie tested it for us - so let me know if you want the number.




















While we were on a technological roll, we visited the AU store on Blue Street and picked up cell phones. There were scores of models on offer, too many choices really, but we narrowed our focus to the dozen or so models on the Free Phones rack. I can't imagine what those pricier models can do since my Free Phone comes with an e-mail address and an 8.1 pixel camera (which I photographed with my perhaps now redundant 7.2 pixel Nikon). After I download and study the English version of the operating manual I might give you the e-mail address. Right now all I can do is retrieve my phone number (and make that once in every five attempts).

One of the sweet store clerks attached my Enoden train charm for me when she saw me squinting at the microscopic hole. She even enlarged the font for me and let me select another cell phone charm as a "presento."

The housing office had surprisingly good news for us this morning: we've been assigned to #13 Gridley. The house was vacated last week and we can move in as soon as the cleaning/painting crew finishes whatever it is they do between tenants. This house has the exact same floor plan as our old house so we won't spend the first month bumping into walls. The carport is on the side of the house so I won't have to hold up traffic for hours on end while I'm trying to back into a space two inches wider than our car.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your hot pink phone and Sydney would be too! I'm glad you got housing squared away so quickly. And I realized with this post, as "technical" as it was, I'm going to miss Japan even more each time I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails