Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just When You Think You've Seen Everything, You See Something Else

Koi at Ofuna Botanical Garden
I have never had to remove my shoes when passing through security at Tokyo's Narita Airport and, until today, had never seen anyone else remove their shoes either.

The Ancient Mariner and I were loitering near the security gate doing our best to embarrass College Boy when we saw a young female guard approach two comely young Asian girls in his line. Both were fashionably dressed in short skirts and tall boots. The guard solemnly presented a pair of slippers to each of these girls. They changed footwear and padded compliantly through the metal detector.

Ah, the civility!

United Airlines gets a thumbs up as well for not charging Matt $200 for his overweight suitcase. The counter clerk waived the fee and wished him a happy new year, thereby changing one teenager's opinion of the airline that extracted $400 from him at the Norfolk Airport when he was returning to Japan from college last summer.

When I was his age, I hadn't flown enough to have opinions about airlines. I also didn't have $400 in my pocket. More like $4 on a flush day.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog!! I am so happy to see so many familiar faces and that you are having such a lovely time with The Shonan Ladies.

    I miss Japan so much! Enjoy every minute of it. It will soon be over, sooner than you want and then you will look back at it as some of the best years in your life.

    Kind regards

    Anneli Kershaw

    Please give my best to all the Shonan Ladies!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails