Saturday, December 3, 2011

Festival of Trees, 2011

Before we learned the hula yesterday, the Japanese and American Wives visited the Festival of Trees in the auditorium on Command Hill.

This was the fifth Festival of Trees for me and most of the decorations are familiar by now so I didn't take many pictures.


The Soroptomists always cover their tree with thousands of tiny paper cranes but this year they added photographs (above) to remind us of the special bonds forged during our disaster relief efforts after the earthquake and tsunami this past March.

The American Red Cross tree was more festive than in years past but I am not suggesting they bought new ornaments with funds intended for disaster relief. Fa-la-la-la-la!

This command -- and please don't ask me what DLA means or does -- went all out. I especially liked the helicopter suspended from the upper branches.

One of my favorite entries this year was decorated by the Yokosuka Sushi Rollers, a female rollerskate team formed a year ago. Some of my Knit Wit pals are members and have the bruises to prove it.

The JAW tree was lovely this year. Alas, I was so enamored with this Year of the Dragon ornament that I failed to step back six paces and snap a picture that would show you the full impact. Ouizer foiled my attempt to steal that ornament but promised to show me how to make one for my own tree. "It's easy!" Sure. I've heard that before.

The highlight of the Festival of Trees for me was seeing Yuuko-san. I miss seeing her at our bi-weekly conversation group events this year but I'm glad she still has time to attend at-large programs.

2 comments:

  1. DLA = Defense Logistics Agency.
    But don't ask me what they do, as I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fly model helicopters, from all appearances.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails