Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Anpanman Museum: It Takes a Quartet

The last time I posted was the day I took Seth to the Anpanman Museum in Yokohama.  Since then I've spent approximately 22 hours at home:  six sawing logs, three reading, and thirteen watching seasons three and four of The Sopranos with the Ancient Mariner.  He's off to Arizona and California now and I'm back to blogging because . . . sad but true . . . I don't know how to turn on the TV.  DVDs were not yet invented when I passed the remote control to a fourth-grader who is now 24 years old.

So uncork a bottle of wine and get comfortable because you are pretty much stuck with me until AM returns in time to pass out Halloween treats eight days hence.

Seth had a blast at the Anpanman Museum and so did the four grownup ladies -- make that three grownups and me -- who used him as their excuse for wandering around the happiest acre in this part of Japan.  Momo and Tomoki were supposed to come with us but Tomoki came down with a fever, poor boy, so I suppose I'll have to take them another time.

Lucky me.

You might remember Seth.  He wandered off last April when we were viewing cherry blossoms at Mt. Minobuso.  He has two older brothers, Ethan and Matthew, and is somewhat eagerly awaiting the arrival of an older or slightly younger sister as his parents have completed about 90 percent of the Japanese adoption process.  This is about 80 percent further along in the process than most people get.  We have our fingers crossed and are praying for a particularly Merry Christmas this year.

You won't remember Tiffany or Christy because this was the first time either of them has tripped down my rabbit hole.  Tiffany is a Seventh Fleet spouse, meaning her husband works with mine, and Christy is her neighbor.  Christy's husband is an obstetrician at the hospital so I will be hooking her up with the Oakleaf crowd at the earliest opportunity.

This is not a flattering shot -- the last one of those was snapped with a Brownie camera circa 1978 -- but it will clue you in on why I'm such a toddler magnet these days.  All those hours, okay years, of playing "Let's Pretend" in Mari Beth's attic are standing me in good stead now.  Seth is working the ice cream stand on the second floor of the museum and I am his satisfied customer.  That lavender strap around my neck is supporting a 10-gallon container of caramel corn.  I hogged most of the caramel corn but graciously handed over the container to my little friend at the conclusion of our adventure.  Of course, you say?  Not hardly.  That Baikanman container would have been the perfect foil to the Anpanman container I picked up last year. 

Gosh, I wonder when Tomoki will be feeling well enough to go to Yokohama with me.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails